In this blog post, we will explore How To Make Eco Friendly Makeup. Are you looking for an easy and effective way to help save the environment? If so, consider switching your makeup routine to using eco friendly makeup! Not only does going green with your beauty products do the environment justice, but it is also a great way to look after yourself in a more natural, healthier way.
Ingredients to Look for in Eco Friendly Makeup:
- Natural and/or organic ingredients
The first thing you should look for when shopping for eco friendly makeup is products that contain natural and/or organic ingredients. These are ingredients that have been grown without the use of synthetic pesticides or fertilizers, and they are often safer for both you and the environment.
- Biodegradable packaging
Another thing to look for is biodegradable packaging. This means that the packaging will break down over time, making it easier to compost or recycle. Biodegradable packaging is often made from materials like paper or bamboo, and it can be a great way to reduce your impact on the environment.
- Recycled materials
Another thing to look for in eco friendly makeup is products that contain recycled materials. This means that the materials used to make the makeup have been recycled from other products, and it can help to reduce waste.
- Local ingredients
Finally, you may want to look for eco friendly makeup that contains local ingredients. This means that the ingredients were grown or sourced locally, which can help to reduce your carbon footprint.
Eco Friendly Makeup Ideas:
- Start with the Basics – It’s easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer number of eco-friendly makeup products out there. To make the transition easier, start by swapping out your staples—think foundation and mascara—for natural alternatives. Not sure where to begin? Check out some of the popular brands that specialize in natural makeup, like Ilia or RMS Beauty.
- Read Labels – When shopping for green makeup, it’s important to read labels and research ingredients so you know exactly what you’re putting on your skin. Avoid products with synthetic preservatives, parabens, silicones, and other potentially hazardous chemicals. Natural oils and plant extracts are usually good signs that a product is safe and sustainable.
- Find Refillable Alternatives – Did you know many cosmetics companies now offer refillable packaging? Not only is this great for reducing waste (and saving money!), but refilling products also eliminates excess packaging materials that can clog up landfills and pollute our oceans. Look for brands that offer refills on their foundation, lipstick, blush and other items when possible!
- Switch Up Your Skin Care Routine – Makeup isn’t the only part of a beauty routine that can be made eco-friendly! Many green beauty brands offer all-natural skin care alternatives as well—from cleansers to moisturizers and beyond—so you can switch up your entire routine if desired (or just pick up a few items here and there). To get started, check out some of the top indie brands like Ursa Major or True Botanicals!
5 ways to Make Eco Friendly Makeup:
Use Natural Ingredients:
One of the best ways to make eco friendly makeup is to use natural ingredients. There are a variety of natural ingredients that can be used in place of synthetic ingredients, such as beeswax, coconut oil, and shea butter. These ingredients are not only environmentally friendly, but they are also gentle on the skin and can provide a number of benefits, such as moisturizing the skin and providing protection from UV rays.
Microbeads are tiny plastic beads that are often used as exfoliants in facial scrubs and other cosmetics. However, microbeads are a major source of pollution, as they are too small to be filtered out by water treatment plants.
As a result, they end up in our waterways, where they can be ingested by fish and other marine animals. To avoid microbeads, look for cosmetics that use natural exfoliants, such as salt or sugar.
Use Recycled Packaging:
Another way to make eco friendly makeup is to use recycled packaging. There are a number of companies that now use recycled materials for their cosmetic packaging, such as glass or bamboo. Using recycled packaging is a great way to reduce your impact on the environment, as it requires less energy and resources to produce than virgin materials.
Choose Cruelty-Free Products:
Many cosmetics companies test their products on animals, which can cause pain and suffering. To make sure your makeup is eco friendly, choose products that have not been tested on animals. Look for the Leaping Bunny logo, which indicates that a product has been certified cruelty-free by an independent organization.
Shop at Local Stores:
Finally, one of the best ways to make eco friendly makeup is to shop at local stores. Local stores typically carry products from smaller companies that use sustainable practices. Additionally, shopping at local stores helps to support the local economy and reduce your carbon footprint
5 Tips for an make Eco Friendly Makeup:
- Choose cosmetics that are certified by the Natural Product Association or USDA.
- Avoid makeup with synthetic fragrances, which are often derived from petrochemicals and can be toxic.
- Pick up makeup made with natural ingredients like mineral pigments, vegetable waxes, and essential oils.
- Look for recyclable packaging like cardboard and paperboard tubes instead of plastics.
- Purchase refills to reduce waste from packaging altogether!
Best Brands of Eco Friendly Makeup:
There are a lot of great eco friendly makeup brands out there, but my personal favorites are 100% Pure, W3ll People, and Eve Lom. These brands use natural and organic ingredients, they’re cruelty free, and they don’t test on animals. They also come in packaging that can be easily recycled or composted.
Is Vegan makeup environmentally friendly?
Yes, vegan makeup is environmentally friendly. Vegan makeup is made without any animal products or byproducts, so it doesn’t have the same impact on the environment that conventional makeup does. For example, conventional makeup often contains ingredients like beeswax and lanolin, which are derived from animals. Vegan makeup ingredients can include plant-based waxes and oils like coconut oil and olive oil. So, if you’re looking for an environmentally friendly alternative to conventional makeup, vegan makeup is a great option.
Making your makeup routine more eco-friendly doesn’t have to be hard or expensive! With these tips in mind, anyone can easily find natural alternatives for their favorite products without breaking the bank or sacrificing quality in their beauty routine. So why not give it a try? You could be surprised at how easy it is—and how much better you feel about using sustainably sourced cosmetics every day!